Running pbs_snapshot with sudo

Hi,

We’ve recently found a use for this enhancement for our internal testing purposes. The use case is as follows:

We run PTL tests as a non-root user on our internal test systems, there are some pbs_snapshot tests and we’d like to be able to run them as a non-root user as well. We have sudo rules in place which restrict some of the commands that pbs_snapshot executes (like chmod) from being run with sudo. So, it’d really help if we add a switch to pbs_snapshot so that it runs only the necessary commands with sudo and runs the other commands as a normal user.

So, I’m reopening this discussion. Let’s figure out the most generic way to enhance pbs_snapshot for such use cases.

… and if somebody can tell me how I can remove the [CLOSED] tag from the title that’ll be great.

Based on the input from Josh I’d argue that the original proposal - i.e., “with-sudo”, would be the right way to go. The use case that you summarize can be satisfied with that interface. If there is a relatively broad swath of end users who just use root or an alternative to sudo, it is not reasonable to provide a default interface that relies on it being there.

Other than that, this seems a fine proposal, and meets an important end user use case.

Thanks for replying Ian, I agree with you, we should not use sudo by default.

@billnitzberg, I cannot remove the [CLOSED] tag from this topic, any chance you have the permissions to do it?

@agrawalravi90 done.

I agree on adding sudo option to pbs_snapshot. Also debug output should tell which all command will be run as sudo.

Thanks Anamika, I like that idea.

+1
Not having sudo by default and supporting --with-sudo as an option, seems to be the way to go.