Here is a proposal to further simplify the OSS code contribution process and bring it at par with the contribution process followed by other/popular open source projects.
The proposal is to no longer require code-contributions to have an issue-tracker (Jira) id associated with it.
- A code contributor would directly raise a Pull Request and fill in the PR template with details about the code change.
- There would not be any requirement to associate the PR with a JIRA id (existing or new). (One is however free to associate an existing (or create a new one) Jira ticket.)
- The test logs that were earlier required to be attached to the Jira ticket would now have to be attached to the pull request itself.
- Any interface/design changes will continue to have to be presented in the project documentation area and discussed in the community forums.
The above has the following impact on the Pull Request /git-commits:
- The PR template will be modified to drop the PP-XXX field. (anybody wishing to reference a PP-XXX ticket can still do it in the body of the PR/description).
- The commit-ids will simply contain a description of the issue being fixed, and not start with "PP-XXX: ".
- Design documents (EDDs), community discussions and the Pull Requests will be linked via web-links to each other.
Please let us know of your feedback/thoughts on the above proposal.